Friday, May 29, 2009

Introductory entry

Welcome to my blog. I hope to do an adequate job of collecting my thoughts and ideas on a variety of subjects, assembled in a coherent and relevant internet journal (of sorts).
My first blog topic will be offered in several parts. I will do my best to keep on track and piece this together logically. I must warn anyone reading this; I do tend to go off on tangents from time to time.

The past few years I have been reading a great deal on topics of science. My motivation, in part, was to learn more about the concerns of Anthropogenic Global Warming (herein AGW). It started out as an open-minded endeavor, but as I read, learned, considered, even participated in debate and conversation, I was struck by a strong opposing force to skepticism and contrary evaluation of the evidence. This opposition thrives largely in the scientific community, but also in large numbers from politically motivated individuals whose arguments have been tainted by personal agenda. I must admit, I feel there is something there in the evidence that should be understood. I believe science has a duty to continue investigating, seperating the truth from the politics, and presenting a realistic picture to the public at large. However, I am concerned whenever alarmism is introduced into such a subject, and certainly more so when science is recruiting politicians to sound said alarm (or vice versa as the case may be).

But I do not wish to get into that topic just yet. It is the environment surrounding it that I wish to analyze. This hostility that I became aware of, especially in blogs and message boards, struck me as shrill and very anti-science...even as I witnessed "claimed" scientists initiating the hostilities. A piece of me that had forever held science in high regard and was extremely disappointed in what I had observed. It was sort of like idolizing someone of high repute, only to see their human weaknesses exposed in the end.

In my continuing studies, I came across another controversy of science that I was totally unfamiliar with...and I must say, the discovery of this issue left me astounded and profoundly changed. Sadly, I observed the same arrogance, shrillness, and absolute ridicule (from the "scientific community") that the AGW debate exposed. The nature of this subject and its evidence, the logical conclusions that were so evident as I learned more and more, and the implications to the foundations of science, were so compelling that I couldn't dismiss them...and furthermore the mocking reaction I witnessed among the scientific establishment left me dumbfounded. I saw, in a deep and troubling unfolding, the very flaws of science itself.

The concept I am introducing is referred to as Expanding Earth Theory. It isn't a new idea, it was postulated long ago, I imagine the first time a perceptive person peered curiously upon a global map. This theory was discarded a few short decades ago in favor of "Plate Tectonics", sometimes called Continental Drift Theory. Both theories had proponents, but as modern science goes Tectonics proponents won the argument, in essence, by a "democratic" vote. Yes folks, science in the modern era is defined by popular opinion more so than evidence and common sense.

This is a good stopping point for me. I have spelled out the context of my blog for the moment. My next entry will be an introduction to the concept of Expanding Earth (herein EE Theory), and I will attempt to make a case for it as a viable alternative, in fact a superior alternative, to Plate Tectonics. Many people have extensive websites that dig deep into the technicalities. I will link to them as I see fit. My blog will not be so technical. I am not a geologist and I do not plan on proving EE or disproving Plate Tectonics (herein PT). I am simply going to analyze the heart of the theories, why PT won out, and why this was a huge blunder in science. In doing so, I hope to make scientists aware of their mistakes. I hope to set science, a method and ideaology of great merit, back on the course of truth finding...a course I'm afraid from which it has wandered.

I am sure that my blog, if I'm so lucky as to be read, will be met with scorn and ridicule from geologists, climatologists, and other scientists. To that, I say bring it on. The closed minded, stubborness that I have observed will be exposed once again for all to see. My assertion is this, science has no business being closed minded. Science should welcome honest criticism. And science has no place amongst the arrogant and elitist. Science is not an exclusive ideaology. It is for all people, of all walks of life. The minute science sets itself above the humanity that it serves, science becomes no more viable than organized religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment